It has been a great high school season so far for many Tennessee commits. This season has seen Jauan Jennings go from respected athlete to feared quarterback, Kahlil McKenzie move into the top ten overall players in the nation, and Marques Ford become a four-star top 20 defensive end. Within the past week some commits have shone brightly, and this recruiting update is to share some of those stories. The Vols currently have 26 commits for the 2015 recruiting class, and it looks as though Butch Jones and company are no where near being done on the recruiting trail.
- Vols' 5-star receiver commit Preston Williams had a nasty injury last week that sidelined him for the remainder of his game. He was lucky to not break his leg on the play and is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Defensive end commit Andrew Butcher had an impressive night as his Alpharetta team won the regional championship. Butcher was credited with 7 tackles, 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery during the game.
- Jauan Jennings has continued to progress at quarterback and looked impressive against one of the better high school teams in the nation in Hoover. He shot up our recruit rankings to the #4 dual-threat quarterback in the nation.
- Linebacker commit Cecil Cherry will be taking an official visit to Texas this weekend. However, Cherry reassured Volnation that he is 100% committed to the Vols and there was no threat of Texas swaying him to decommit from Tennessee.
- One of the Vols' top targets, offensive guard Matthew Burrell, will be committing soon, possibly as early as next week. Although Burrell is thought to be an Ohio State lean with momentum possibly now going towards Penn State, the Vols are still very much alive in the pursuit of this top five guard.
- Tennessee may be getting back into the hunt for top in-state receiver Van Jefferson. He will most likely be attending the Vols' game against Missouri in two weeks, which would definitely be a good sign from the Georgia commit. His father is still high on Tennessee and the receiver would make an outstanding complement for Preston Williams.
- Darrin Kirkland Jr., a former Tennessee top target, decommitted from Michigan yesterday opening the door for the Vols to continue their pursuit of this defensive playmaker. He has already visited Rocky Top twice this year, and he would be a huge get this late in the recruiting season.
- The search for a third running back in the class of 2015 continues as there are now four running back prospects listed on our top targets list. Johnny Frasier currently ranks as our #2 overall target, with Bryce Love, Kendall Bussey, Ke'Shawn Vaughn, and Frasier all being high priorities going forward.
- Tennessee offered a scholarship to one of 2016's top guards in Richard Merritt today. He already holds offers from over 20 division 1 programs. The need for top offensive linemen is still high, and coaches are trying to commit the best they can for the O-line for years to come.